2014 RESOLUTIONS INSPIRED BY OLIVIA POPE-THEY’RE HANDLED
Happy Almost New Year Everyone! I’ll be honest, 2013 has not been my best year and I’m hoping for a bit of a fresh start with 2014. I’m actually excited to be making resolutions and am hoping that just writing down some goals will help inspire me to better myself in a few ways. Last year, my resolution was to be on time for things and I’m happy to say that for the most part, I kept it (unless other people stopped me from doing so…ahem…Megan- my sister). I’m learning that trying to leave just 10 minutes before I think I actually need to leave, allows time for unexpected delays. I just got so sick of always being the absolute last person to show up anywhere. So, for 2014, I still plan to work on this one!
So, if you haven’t been watching Scandal this season, I’m pretty sure we can’t be friends (jk). But, I really am OBSESSED. I actually just started watching it a few months ago and zipped past the first 2 seasons in like a week. It is simply AMAZING. Scandal is one of those shows that keeps you guessing as to what is going on. But then, when you finally think you’ve figured it out, it throws something else your way and you realize what you thought you knew was wrong all along! Trust me, just watch it. You can thank me later :). So, my 2014 Resolutions this year are inspired by Scandal’s amazing leading lady, Olivia Pope. She’s driven, she’s assertive, she knows how to get what she wants, and she NEVER gives up. And her clothes are to die for. So without further ado…….
1) BE MORE ASSERTIVE. I definitely have a people pleaser type of personality. I’m the person that doesn’t sweat it when a waitress brings out an incorrect order and I rarely say something when my coffee comes out hot, when I know I ordered ICED. I used to work in customer service, and I really think that experience just made me not want to be THAT annoying person. My goal this year is still to not sweat the small stuff, but to speak up if I have a nagging feeling or am disappointed about something. Typically when I do speak up, it isn’t an issue and I am always glad that I did. I’ll still obviously want to try and do it in the nicest way possible though.
2) BE BETTER WITH MONEY. So…I have a couple of ideas on this one and can definitely use some advice. First of all, I think I just need to be more aware as to where all my money is going. I really am going to try and take a monthly look at my account/purchases and just analyze my needs vs. wants. Once I take a look at that, I want to set a weekly budget and get cash out for it. I’ll separate the cash into envelopes: groceries, spending money, bills, etc and will try and stick to those envelopes for the week. If I run out of cash in an envelope and need more, I’ll have to cover it with the cash from a different envelope/category. My best friend used to do this all of the time and said it worked really well for her. The last thing I’m going to try and do is come up with a ‘money saver’ every month. This can be something little. For example, to cut my Starbucks costs, I have been buying their via instant coffees from Costco and using those instead! Although, I will throw a major freaker if they take my precious gold card away.
3) CARE LESS ABOUT WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK. This one will probably be the hardest for me. I know that as long as I am happy, it shouldn’t matter what anyone else thinks about what I look like, how much money I make, who I’m hanging out with etc. I KNOW this. But with social media constantly bombarding me with updates on how great everyone else’s life is, it is easy for me to get a little jealous and feel a little sorry for myself. Sometimes if I’m feeling really bad, I cut myself off from friends, family, and people I care about just because I’m embarrassed with how ‘not well’ I feel like I am doing in many aspects of my life. This stops NOW. It has to. But, unlike my other goals, I have no plan. Please help! I can use all of the advice I can get.
4) PAY IT FORWARD. Okay, so this one isn’t necessarily related to Olivia Pope, but I figure three out of four ain’t bad. About a week ago, I was surprised to find that the person in front of me in the Starbucks drive-thru paid for my coffee. AND I started bawling like a baby. It really really just made my day. I was telling my sister about it and she said, ‘”People are always so much friendlier and nicer during the holidays. I wish people were like that all of the time”. I couldn’t agree more. I really want to bring the joy and selflessness from the holiday season and spread this kind of love throughout the year. Again, I don’t have a plan for this one (do a good deed once a week? a month?), so if you have suggestions, please send them my way!
5) DO THE SPLITS (also not related to Olivia Pope, so I guess it’s three out of five). Because I’ve always wanted to. That’s why.
On another note, if you are more into reflection during the new year, I would recommend signing up for daily emails from ohlife.com. They will email you daily and you respond with any thoughts about your day. On the same day next year, you will be reminded of what you wrote. It’s a great way to bring up old memories! Now, it’s shopping time- Olivia Pope style:
So, I tried to find as close of a match I could to each coat. Click below to see where they are from:
And although the following coats aren’t as similar, I’m pretty confident, Olivia Pope would rock them:
And finally another reminder about my contest:
I am offering $250 Facebook advertising credits that you can use to promote your blog, business, or whatever your little heart desires (as long as you are complying with Facebook’s terms and conditions). You can run page promotions, drive traffic to your blog with web click ads on Facebook, or just run some ads to broaden your audience and reach those followers you’ve always wanted! The lucky winner will receive their Facebook Ad Coupon within 48hrs of the competition ending. This coupon – has no minimum spend, no strings attached – you just input the voucher code into your Facebook account and voila – it’s their instantly!! All you have to do is fill out the Rafflecopter below for chances to win. Thanks again for reading!